Embrace Joy with McKenzie and Dustin!June 23rd - 29th, 2019
- < Back to retreats
About the Retreat
Join McKenzie and Dustin for an exploration, through movement and breath, of the immense joy to be found in your yoga practice. Discover how you can embrace this joy and carry it off your mat into the rest of your life!
Start your day with a morning seated practice, featuring pranayama, mantra, and kriya to clear physical, emotional and mental blockages.
Celebrate the miracle of your body, and stimulate deep healing from the inside out with two daily asana classes–one in the mid-morning, one in the afternoon–either classical Bikram, or Vinyasa, incorporating elements from Ashtanga, Forrest, Dharma, and Bikram styles.
Or simply enjoy the many other activities Casa Om has to offer.
We hope you join the fun!
Casa Om is located in Puerto Morales, Mexico, 16 miles south of Cancun International Airport. The property has a private swimming pool, koi pond, yoga room and overlooks the ocean. The rooms themselves have air conditioning, filtered water, daily cleaning service, and laundry. There are several spots for quiet contemplation, gathering with friends, or a little siesta!
Daily gourmet, vegetarian meals are offered on the premises with vegan and gluten free options, too. Are you a meat eater? Fear not! There are plenty of outstanding restaurants within walking distance to eat exactly what your heart desires.
Additional services and activities
The beauty of this retreat is you can make it what you want! Do as much or as little yoga as you like. Spend a week relaxing or seeing all the area has to offer — or a happy mixture of both!
Here are some options you may like:
- Spa treatments: In-house therapists offer a variety of services, including breath work therapy, Polynesian massage, and recollective healing. Casa Om also partners with Mayan healer Avelino May Xui. This is a must! Avelino practices energetic healing techniques rooted in Mayan culture. If you are interested in booking with Avelino, please let us know so we can make put you in contact with Casa Om’s manager to book an appointment (he comes once a week).
- Paddle boarding: A great way to experience the vastness of the ocean! This mild exercise is like surfing without worrying how you’re going to get back onshore alive (just me..?).
- Ancient ruins: Spend the day visiting ancient Mayan ruins such as Ek Balam and the Tulum Ruins. Chichen Itza, considered one of the modern Seven Wonders of the World, is within driving distance! It is an all day excusion, but definitely worth it!
- Botanical Gardens: Take a walk in the shade and spot spider monkeys and temple ruins. Takes about 90 minutes in total— an easy trip you can slip in anywhere!
- Whale Sharks: You can swim with the sharks! During our retreat, this area has the largest migration of whale sharks. Don’t worry, it’s not right where you’ll be staying— it’s in Punta Sam, a car ride away. You’ll be taken to open waters via boat for this once in a lifetime experience! You can make a reservation through the Casa’s manager.
- Snorkeling: Puerto Morales is located in front of a National Marine Park, which includes the second largest reef in the world! Enjoy snorkeling right from Casa Om’s beach. Getting out and back can take less than three hours, a very doable midday getaway!
Here are some things that are included
- 2-3 daily yoga and meditation classes. Suit yourself! Take them all! take none and just relax. Take a few. Your vacation is YOURS.
- 10 gourmet, vegetarian meals
- Ground transportation to and from Cancun airport
- Daily laundry service
- Yoga towels and mats for practice
- Spring water, in your room
- Classes: We will offer a variety of classes each day, so you have plenty of options to plan your day. Again, this is for you! All classes are optional. All levels welcome!
- Bikram yoga
- Vinyasa yoga
- Morning/evening meditation
- Private lessons available
About the teacher
Dustin has over 800 hours certification in Bikram, and Hatha/Vinyasa training. He has been traveling and teaching all over the world for the past four years. But the only honest answer to the question of how long he has been teaching/practicing yoga is “not long enough”. It’s one of the many beautiful things that keeps him in love with and passionate about what he does–the revelations are constant and unending. He credits his yoga practice with saving his life after a nearly fatal accident in 2013, and teaches from a place of love, compassion, and emphasis on alignment, breath, and curiosity.
McKenzie is a performance artist, yoga teacher and figure model based in Brooklyn. She is a certified instructor and currently studies under Jared McCann. McKenzie’s teaching combines elements from Yin, Bikram, and Ashtanga. In her individual studies, McKenzie focuses on the art of contortion and the body as a means of communication. She leads workshops and retreats where she focuses on spine accessibility without pain or resistance.
Casa Om has 11 beautiful bedrooms and bathrooms, a spacious and well equipped yoga room, swimming pool, a rooftop dining area and 2 kitchens. Bedrooms can set for either single or double occupancy, and have either a private bathroom or a bathroom shared between two rooms. Casa Om also has a new dorm that sleeps up to 6 people in bunk beds.
The rooms at Casa Om are comfortable and beautifully designed with air conditioning and fans. Drinking water and wifi are provided. Casa Om sleeps 26 and is across the street from the beach.
At Casa Om we run a full gourmet vegetarian kitchen. We offer extensive Mexican, Thai, New American, and Lebanese food options. Visitors love our fresh juices and superfood smoothies. All dishes are prepared with a healthy yogic lifestyle in mind. We love to make gluten free and vegan meals as well.
We will include breakfast each morning and dinner 4 nights out of the 6 you are with us. The other nights we will venture out into town.
Our head chef, Eduardo, is a former restaurateur; he brings more than 10 years of professional cooking experience to Casa Om. He is passionate about food and his cooking classes are a favorite amongst our visitors. Those passionate about cuisine will find a like-minded soul.
We will pick you up from the airport and take you 20 minutes south to the beautiful town of Puerto Morelos on the white sandy beaches of the Mexican Riviera.
We are located at 9 mza 26 sm 02 avenue javier rojo gomez, Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo, Mexico.
Optional Excursions (additional fee applies):
The Mexican Riviera is flush with these beautiful underground pools and a trip here isn’t complete without a dip in these refreshing waters. There are multiple cenotes to visit that are much less crowded than those in the Tulum area and only about 30min away by car. Find tranquility below ground or liven you experience with a cenote/zip line combination. Both options are available and booking at least a day in advance is recommended.
Snorkeling & Snuba
The biodiversity on the protect reef in the Mexican Riviera is stunning. Take off for an afternoon when the sun lights up the corals, tropical fish and sponges and search for turtles or reef sharks. Snorkelers can float above it all while scuba divers (no certification needed) can swim down into the tropical traffic. Either option will highlight why this area is protected and turned into a National Marine Park. Yogis can walk to the beach and take a 5 minute stroll to reach the operator. This natural oasis is literally steps from our retreat center.
If you’re a diver there’s twice the opportunity here, you can dive in the coral reefs or, for something a little different, take a cavern or cenote dive. Seasonally the more adventurous (crazy?) yogis can also try a bull shark dive…eek! Tons of diving options await the intrepid.
Akumal Sea Turtle Snorkel
The warm Caribbean waters off of the Mexican Riviera boast sea turtle populations year-round. You can outfit with a dive shop to snorkel with these lovelies or head out with your own gear and see if you get lucky.
The Mayan ruins at Coba is one of the few sites in the Yucatan that is still relatively unrestored. Many of these ancient buildings are the same as when they were rediscovered in 1890. The beautiful location is less hectic and touristy than other Mayan sites and is certainly worth the day trip.
Playa Del Carmen Take a shopping trip, have a great meal, or just enjoy people watching on a trip to Playa del Carmen. This is a fun tourist spot where you can shop for anything from cheap souvenirs to boutique items.
You have options! A $300 deposit is due within a week of registration to secure your spot. That is included in the prices below. Need to chat about money things? We feel you! Send us an email.
- Dorm style room $999
- Twin shared bath $1200
- Twin private bath $1300
- Queen room private bath $1700
- King room private bath $1999